Tuesday 9 January 2018

Change for the Better...Hopefully

Hi,

I am attempting to come off anti-depressants! This will be my fourth attempt in 5 years but I am hoping I will be successful this time. Every time I try, something traumatic or very stressful happens and my mood dips/depression flares significantly.

I have written before about a conversation I had with my GP years ago when he first prescribed a low dose of Fluoxetine. I had noticed that fatigue was a common side effect according to the info leaflet. I was concerned that it would add to my already overwhelming fatigue. He said (paraphrasing) 'What's better? Suicidal thoughts or bit of extra fatigue?' I got his point but still...more fatigue?! I was barely
Smarties!
existing at that point and was only living to work, eat and sleep. 

I have noticed a marked decrease in my energy levels since starting anti-depressants and that is my main reason for wanting to stop taking them. I also think it is a good idea to come off and see if I even need to be on them now. I have been slowly coming off them over the past 6 weeks or so. My plan was to get more sunshine, exercise (we are talking extra 2 minutes a day...not joining a gym!) and to do more mindfulness to reduce anxiety. I am doing as many non-medicinal things as possible to make sure I can stay off tablets. Unfortunately, breaking my toe hasn't helped, if anything, being even more immobile has added to my anxiety. I am hopeful that, once I can get around independently again, my action plan will work!

Anti-depressants helped me through some very bad times (assault, cancer, bereavements, bullying - what doesn't kill you makes you stronger right?!) but I now want to see if I can use alternatives just as effectively. 

Wish me luck!

Sally xx

1 comment:

  1. Thank you very much for sharing this Sally. I've been wanting to do the same thing for years. I hope this goes well for you. I look forward to hearing more!

    ReplyDelete