Wednesday 22 November 2017

Sore Throat? Is That What This is Called?

Hi,

Since starting Foggy back in 2014, I have complained about having 'M.E sore throats'.  They kinda go along with the notion that M.E feels like having flu every single day as its baseline. Without waffling on about biology, it's to do with having glands in that part of our body that flare up when our body wants to fight infection (an infection we don't have - stupid M.E). For years, I've had people back away from me whilst telling me to 'keep away, I don't want your
These don't work
bug'. I've lost count of the number of times I have had to explain that I am not contagious, that it is an M.E sore throat and not a germ and snot-filled bug.


However, my sore throats have changed. They now not only affect the top of my throat/back of my mouth but also the whole length of my throat and neck. Right down to just above my collar bone. I know what my neck usually feels like and to me it feels swollen. Swallowing is often difficult and it feels as if I have barbed wire/glass inside my throat. I have become concerned that it might...just might...be something other than M.E so I went to my GP. I was told that my glands didn't feel swollen (REALLY?!) and they couldn't feel anything wrong. I was sent for a general 'tiredness' blood test for 'reassurance'. Not surprisingly, my blood test came back 100% fine and dandy. 

So it is 'just' plain old M.E then? Must be. I have told Foggy Followers that I have Hypermobility Syndrome too. This manifests itself in my neck, as well as most other joints. I now think that the sore throat and painful neck joint combo is why my neck/throat is so painful at the moment. I've struggled to hold my head up when I am tired for the past 11 years (since I was diagnosed with M.E) but now it is painful too. It's weird that both my neck and throat have decided to flare at exactly the same time!

Whatever the cause, it is constant and blooming painful. M.E severity may settle and remain static over time but I am finding that symptoms change and ebb and flow. What's coming next? It's a mystery!

Love Sally
(and Foggy OBVIOUSLY)

1 comment:

  1. My goodness Sally, that sounds truly awful! I've had issues with my glands feeling swollen. I've had times when my head feels like a 15 lbs bowling ball, but no associated pain. Yes, you are absolutely right - it's a mystery. Take care sweetie ❤️.

    ReplyDelete