Thursday 13 July 2017

Noise Sensitivity

Hello!
Sally is having another one of her 'I've been awake since 2.30am so will get up and do Foggy admin' mornings. I'm on a cruise ship heading for Iceland but have just spoken to Sally via face time (;). Here is a blog about how my best friend Patch is not helping one of her M.E symptoms at the moment.

Hi,
So, I know 100% that Patch loves me from his paw pads to the tips of his beautiful ears. But, he now has doggy dementia and is barking A LOT and it is causing my symptom of noise sensitivity to flare. I completely understand that he can't help it. Because he is 75% blind, 80% deaf and has mobility issues he gets anxious easily. Hence the barking. Patch has always had one of those really deep 'manly', loud barks, I think in his head he is a butch Alsation or Doberman and not the Jack Russell that he is! Now that he can't hear himself 'talking' he is even louder!
Patch xx

My family and I could be chilling out watching TV, not doing anything special and he starts barking...for no reason. He can't hear us telling him to be quiet and can't see us using body language to calm him so my senses are in tatters after about 30 seconds!

When noise sensitivity kicks in I can literally feel my energy slipping away. Almost as if my energy levels were a bath full of water and someone has just pulled the plug. My brain is working so hard to overcome the sensitivity to noise that it uses all of my energy. Just lately, I might have a half-full energy 'battery' at the start of the day but by 10am, thanks to Patch's barking, I have flatlined. I'm also
finding that my neck glands, which are always slightly tender, flare instantly and get very painful. Again, because my body is trying to counteract against the noise sensitivity. My entire body, because of the depletion of energy, goes a little bit floppy and slow. My speech starts to slur and it's all bit of a mess really.

I work from home and often sit at my desk wearing noise cancellation headphones. I can still hear him. I also work listening to the radio, the combination of Katy Perry and dog barking is enough to send me into meltdown!

We have bought him some calming herbal medication so hopefully he will feel less anxious soon. I know my ears, energy levels and sanity will be grateful!

Love Sally
and Foggy (Obviously)

1 comment:

  1. I am so sorry to hear about poor Patch. I don't blame him for being stressed out. It's unfortunate that the noise cancelling headphones aren't enough. Would the industrial ones help - like the ones airstrip workers wear? I completely understand your reaction to noise. I get like that when there's lots of personal around talking/singing loudly, It's a big reason why I don't go to church on a regular basis - it takes me days, sometimes weeks to recover. Certain music does it as well depending on the pitch. Barking dogs, crying babies, etc. It's why I can't socialize much.
    I hope you find a solution soon. Take care sweetie ❤️.
    Kristina
    (from British Columbia)

    ReplyDelete