Thursday 21 April 2016

Why ME? What makes me so different?

Hello,

One of my internal questions that has the ability to drive me to distraction is 'Why me?'. So many of my friends regularly catch bugs and infections and get back to their pre-illness lives within a short period of time. I have fabulous friends, many of whom are physically fit, driven professionals who work long
hours and burn the candle at both ends. So what made me different to them? How come Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (M.E) chose to mess around with my life and not theirs?
Let me stress - I would not wish M.E on my worst enemy let alone one of my wonderful friends.
I have lost count of the number of times I have told friends to not push themselves too hard or to not rush back to work too soon in case it causes further repercussions. In most instances, my advice is ignored and they just recover and move on. I think, perhaps, this is the reason many don't understand the nature of M.E. How can it be caused by a virus or injury that anyone around the world could have had? This is why research is needed. There is something in me, whether that is in my DNA, gut or other part of my body, that didn't recover post-virus. 

No tangible link has been established amongst sufferers and so, at the present time, I believe it could happen to anyone, anywhere. So, I will continue advising friends to take it easy and to be kind to themselves because it could happen to anyone.

Love

Sally x

1 comment:

  1. I can definitely relate to becoming overprotective with family and friends - especially my son. He gets words of caution from me all the time. I've almost become paranoid about his health. When he complains of something that has remotely sounds like a symptom, my chronic illness antenna goes up and I tell him, yet again, to watch out for this, that, and the other. As for why ME-CFS chose me? I'm learning a lot of lessons I don't think I could have learned any other way. I do believe it's making me a better person, though there are many days when it's doing the exact opposite. All I know is I have to stop asking "why" I was struck down with ME-CFS (and a host of other conditions) and start asking "how" to live well in spite of them.

    ReplyDelete